Vela Adventures is partnering with Women's Wilderness to bring you an awesome day of rock climbing October 4th! Women's Wilderness is a fantastic program because our instructors are...you guessed it...all professional women with years of experience climbing and teaching!
On top of that, proceeds from our courses go to support our Girls' Wilderness Program, which includes an extensive scholarship program. So, when you go out and have fun with us, you can know you are also helping low-income teen girls gain access to the great outdoors.
From Women's Wilderness, here are FIVE THINGS you should know about ROCK CLIMBING:
1) Climbing is all about your FEET. People often think that you need to have amazing upper body strength to climb. The truth is, overly relying on your arms can hold you back! The muscles in your arms tire out long before the bigger muscles in your legs ever will.
2) A big part of climbing is OBSERVATION. Before you are on the rock watch how other climbers move up the climb. While you are on the rock look down to find footholds, and carefully place your feet on them.
3) You can climb EVEN IF you are SCARED of heights. You can practice going up a few feet and then hang on the rope and come down, and slowly build up to climbing higher and higher. You also can try climbs that are less exposed - climbs that are in a corner often feel a lot "safer" because you can't see as much below you.
4) Climbing is a great way to develop TRUST - in yourself and in other people. You learn to trust your belayer - the person holding the other end of the rope - and you learn to trust yourself as you figure out ways to move up the rock.
5) A major piece of climbing is FRIENDSHIP - making friends that will stick by you patiently while you are trying something challenging, friends that will root for you when you are not sure you can do it, and friends that you just love "hanging" out with after a great day outside.
Can't wait to see you out there on the rock with us!
About the Author:
Emily, Executive Director, Women's Wilderness
Learn more at www.womenswilderness.org
Vela is all about fun and adventure!